Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The NEW Apartment Tour

Alright y'all... it's time to check out my new crib. This here apartment is located almost 10 km outside of Darmstadt, which mean it's about a 45 minute commute to work everyday since I have to walk about half of it. It's in a very quite area kind of tucked away back in a little 'forest'. Here is the Google Maps link to it so you can check out the satellite view yourself... check it out. The building is 2 stories and recently renovated. There is a 'laundry room' in the basement with a washer and dryer... those will be discussed in an upcoming post entitled "Ode to a German Waschmaschine". I have my own mail box, which is currently being tested for ability to receive US mail (I hope). I live on the top floor but there is an elevator (awesome), so no more climbing up 4 stories like I had to in my old place.


(Video tour at the bottom of the post) The apartment is made of two large rooms and a bathroom... all separated by doors, so no more olive green curtains. The 'kitchen' is part of the living room and includes a dishwasher and microwave, as well as the standard hotplates and mini fridge. They included pretty much a full set of dishes, cookware and utensils... so I have everything I need. The bedroom has two separate beds and each bed has a unique style... one is a super soft spring mattress while the other is a firm memory foam mattress... so whatever mood I'm in I have a bed for the occasion. The only problem is that the beds cannot be pushed together, so I am stuck sleeping on what feels like a rather narrow twin sized mattress. Satellite TV (consisting of 34 German stations... no English) and Internet is free, but I have to pay for 'cleaning'. I am responsible for providing and cleaning my own towels, as well as cleaning the dishes. I also have to keep the kitchen area and bathroom clean as well. I also have to dispose of my own garbage. Also, the bedsheets only get changed once every 2 weeks... so I'm wondering... what am I paying them to do? It sounds like the only thing they do is vacuum. Shoot, give me my money back and I'll vacuum my own place.


Luckily that is my only complaint with the place, so I am very fortunate compared to the old place, which cost 50 euro more than what I am paying now. Also, it seems like the manager actually cares about her property, so that is a big plus in case anything breaks. I have already set off the smoke alarm while cooking, so every time I cook I unplug the battery now. Luckily it was just to localized room smoke alarm and didn't set off the entire building... which would have been incredibly embarrassing since it was only 2 days into my stay. Nothing like making everyone evacuate in the freezing cold to introduce myself.

I have already met one person there... a guy from England whom I met while doing laundry. Supposedly there are some people from California there too, so I guess I'll have to make my obnoxious American-ness known and maybe they will seek me out.

No comments: