Saturday, January 24, 2009

EUMETSAT Tour

Well I felt like it was about time that I give you all a tour of my workplace. All of these photos except the last one were taken by one of my friends from Alabama when he was visiting for a conference. Normally the security guards severely punish those who use cameras on the premises, but since it was during a conference I suppose they let it slide... I, however, have not wanted to test their mettle so I left my camera in my bag most of the time.


We start on the outside... The building was originally designed to look like one of their geostationary satellites... basically a big garbage can. Also outside of the building there are 3 full size replicas of a few of the satellites run by the organization, as well as a pond that is shaped like Africa (which froze over recently and was used as a shortcut for some people who I may or may not know... much to the chagrin of the safety conscious staff).


The interior is hollow since it is required by law for every office to have a window... pretty, but somewhat of a waste of space if you ask me. There are 5 floors, but only 4 are numbered... one is called 'G' for 'Gallery Floor'. I work on the 4th floor of course in the visiting scientist's office. The bottom floor is where the lunch room and pond full of giant koi fish is.


This last picture was taken out of my window. It is a fake blackbird meant to scare of other real birds from lounging around on the building. It's kind of creepy because it never moves and is always staring at me. To try and comfort myself with its presence I gave it a name... Gunther. Now we're friends.


That's about it... there's where I work... enjoy!

No comments: