Thursday, November 6, 2008

Soccer with the natives...

Well yesterday was my first soccer game with the EUMETSAT soccer club, or EUMFOOT as we call ourselves. I came into the entire thing with low expectations of my ability, even though there were a few elder-ish gentlemen in very short shorts in the group that I should have been able to run around... afterall, this is their sport. The courts themselves are indoors and about half the length of a normal football pitch, with nets all around and above so the ball doesn't go flying into other courts... so basically there were no out of bounds which meant I slammed myself into the walls a few times, which hurt quite a bit since the actual walls only went up to about your waist. There were 10 of us so it was an even 5 on 5 with players rotating in and out of the keeper spot. When it was my turn I missed almost every ball shot at me, which gave to other team 3 or 4 goals... very sad. I myself scored 3 times, which I was very proud of since I was the second leading scorer on our team, but I only managed to basically negate all the goals scored against me. I also took out a kid... that was fun.

So overall it was a fun time, I'm excited about going again next week. I did manage to discover some muscles in my legs I never knew I had, so hopefully they'll recover in time.

Coming up next... Tour of my apartment

No comments: