Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Everybody has private parts, but not everybody can punch someone in the face...

One thing that has been bothering me is what German's find acceptable for public television. This Sunday I basically spent the whole day on my butt watching F1 racing and major hollywood movies dubbed into German. I have noticed that violence on tv is much more restricted than in the US. For instance, when Spiderman punches the criminal who killed his uncle, which in turn makes him stumble backwards and fall out of a window... not ok. However, the shower scene in Starship Troopers... that's ok. What's even worse is during Sunday morning cartoons they will feature adverts for these "Sex Report" shows with full nudity... I don't get it. Punching someone in the face... not ok, but sex education for 3 year olds... fine. I suppose it speaks to the difference in morality between our two cultures in that the human body is no longer viewed as 'dirty'.

No comments: